Certified Canadian Counsellor (CCC) with the Canadian Counselling & Psychotherapy Association
Master of Counselling Degree.
Narrative Therapy Training
I believe our lives are made of stories. There are stories about you that you have forgotten in light of your present difficulties. There are stories about you that need shoring up – like the one where you are incredibly resilient with unbelievable internal strength. It also means I want to walk with you to help make the outline for better chapters ahead.
Association of Partners of Sexual Addiction Trauma Specialist. Not all addiction is created equal. Partners and spouses of those struggling with chronic problematic sexual behaviours have a particularly difficult road to walk. They have suffered a betrayal trauma that hits at their core. There are special skills needed to walk with these brave souls and I’ve been trained in the Multi-dimensional Partner Trauma Model and am currently in the process of certification.
Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training. Do you have suicidal thoughts? Talk to me. It’s not uncommon and it needs to be talked about.
Do you remember when you freshly graduated from high school and you had this fantastic Plan A laid out before you?
You were going to go here. Do that. Get that degree. Nail that dream job…or not.
Plan A’s are wonderful. Lofty. Unfortunately for most of us Plan A gets railroaded by Plan B – Life.
Life happens. Things change. You change. Plan B, for me involved putting education on hold so I could hold little hands. Tucking in tiny toes, mending scraped knees and taxi-ing kids with a silly song on auto-repeat, became what my life revolved around. Plan B’s are often thrilling rides where you learn more about yourself and are often forced to grow in ways you never suspected you needed to. I started a business during this time related to another passion of mine – animals.
Then one day, when the children become slightly more independent, I was passionately working my business, when a nagging feeling took hold. I was dissatisfied. What?!?! That was crazy talk. I loved what I did. I was good at it. But as I worked I found my mind returning to Plan A.
Heading back to school in your 40’s isn’t everyone’s dream. I tried to avoid it for a bit. I worked harder at my business. I added a coaching certification…and the nagging feeling grew. What was my purpose? Why could I no longer just be content? Why was I no longer jumping out of bed eager for the day?
I tried new hobbies and side hustles. Kayaking a new body of water every weekend became a goal and a distraction. But there’s nothing like hours on a quiet lake to bring you face to face with those thoughts you’ve been trying to bury.
There was something more I should be about. But what? When you find yourself feeling unfulfilled, unhappy, unmotivated or uninspired, like I was, it’s time to ask some hard questions.
Unfulfilled. Unhappy. Unmotivated. Uninspired.
It was time for Plan C. Is Plan C even a thing?
Life Coaching had revealed I really enjoyed walking with people through their struggles. It also showed me I needed more skills.
Plan C involved a few crazy years of running my business and heading back to graduate school. It was a crazy life juggle but I have emerged with a Master of Counselling Degree.
Coaching + Counselling = Perfect Place for Me
Coaching and Counselling. To me the perfect combination. Sometimes you need a coach to help you move forward with your life and sometimes you need a counsellor to help you clean out the garbage that has accumulated along the way. Sometimes you need a counsellor to hear your painful story and sometimes you need a coach to help you write a new story. I’m happy to be both and feel it’s especially important with the people I want to work with.
I have been trained to deal with a wide variety of struggles. My main focus though is with helping improve the mental health of those who don’t seem to need it! They are showing up to work, mostly keeping up with their responsibilities but there are obstacles holding them back.
My main focus:
– Anxiety coaching: There are so many high functioning people that are working hard to push down that anxiety, or trying to deal with it quietly by themselves in the bathroom at work. If you’re googling help for anxiety and hoping for some quick trick, I can assure you the quickest path is to discuss this with a trained counsellor. There’s something about 2 brains in one room focussing on the issue that delivers results.
– Betrayal Trauma – I run a support group for spouses and partners that have been betrayed by their significant person. I also do coaching for those who have done the betraying to help them repair the damage they have caused.
– Plan B, C or even D people. Those wrestling through a life that has moved them into Plan B without their permission. And those trying to forge out a brand new Plan C. Don’t settle.
– Families of those that are struggling with addiction. I’ve developed a dissatisfaction over how families – the lifeline and support team – are often treated. Spouses, partners, parents, coworkers, and friends desperately want to help and don’t know how. To make matters worse there are a lot of myths floating around that keep them trapped and unable to find a path of healing. Too often they are told they are sick too, and are part of the problem. Their lives are thrown into turmoil by an addiction not their own and then they are often beat up and traumatized by the system that is supposed to help. I offer support for the support team.
My clients are warriors that are fighting hard to maintain their mental health. Day after day they have shown up. They get dressed. They work. They pay the bills. They face the lies. They keep their houses, jobs, and lives functioning…but inside they are aware it’s time to make some changes.
Some of you even know what changes you want to make but can’t seem to make the plan stick. It’s time to switch things up…do something different.
It’s Time to Explore: Uncluttered. Undivided. Unleashed. Unstoppable.
You aren’t sure if you need a coach or counsellor. That’s why I’m both.
Someone who understands. Someone willing to offer a hand.
Someone who wants to help you write a new chapter..
You’ve spent your life giving to your family, your career, your community
It’s time to take some time for you.
Location: 611 3rd Ave N., Saskatoon, Sk, Canada, S7K 2J8
If you’ve been knocked down but want to rise up strong…
If you are stuck and know it’s time to do something about it…Let’s do this together.
Other Things You Might Want to Know:
- I’ve spent most of my life living in small prairie town. I have also lived in Toronto. Between that smallness and that largeness is the beautiful city of bridges, Saskatoon, SK, that I call my home.
- I have 3 fantastic grown children that return often bringing love and laughter.
- I love Kayaking. There is no better feeling…sun and buoyancy. Fighting waves or floating with a book…these are a few of my favourite things.
- I love knitting. It helps my scattered brain and twitchy body relax and focus. I’ve never been diagnosed ADHD but I can definitely relate.
- I’m pretty passionate about animals in general. Dogs are fantastic. Cats are amazing. Between them they make pretty much everything better.
- Plants. For several years I couldn’t keep them alive. I can now. I think that bodes well for you.
- I like to laugh…and I totally get sarcasm…but that wasn’t meant to be sarcastic. I do like to laugh. Seriously, life shouldn’t be that serious.